including a focus on transition from pediatric to adult care
August 30th – September 2nd, 2016
(registration is now closed – dates and programm of the next edition to be determined)
You wish to be warned as soon as the registrations are open ?
Sign up to receive updates.
By specifying your fields of interest, you will receive information by email about the courses corresponding to your fields of interest.
Given the growing population of children and adolescents with chronic illness, the care provided to this vulnerable population needs to be improved to meet their somatic and psychosocial health needs and those of their families. This international course will cover a wide range of themes linked to chronic illness such as mental health, risk behaviors, or therapeutic education.
To help adolescents with chronic illness reach their full potential, it appears crucial to improve transition from pediatric to adult care. Transition will be the special focus of the 2016 course, and themes such as transfer readiness, transition programs, parents in transition, or transition in obesity and restrictive eating disorders will be covered.
Professionals working with children and / or adolescents with chronic illness (educators, nurses, psychologists, physicians, researchers, social workers, teachers, etc.)
- Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (IUMSP), Division of Chronic Disease, Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) & Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM), University of Lausanne (UNIL)
- Institute of Social Sciences (ISS), Faculty of Social and political sciences (SSP), University of Lausanne (UNIL)
- Acquire a broad view on the issues affecting children and adolescents with chronic illness
- Better understand the specific needs of children and adolescents with chronic illness, as well as those of their families
- Gain an international perspective on effective and concrete transition programs from pediatric to adult care
See the detailed programme here.
- Morning presentations : Chronic illness : An overview | Chronic illness and mental health | Chronic illness in special situations
- Afternoon workshops (choose 2) : Research with adolescents with chronic illness | Parents of adolescents with chronic illness | Adherence to treatment
- Morning presentations : Adolescents with chronic illness and risk behaviors | Patient satisfaction in chronic illness | Reproductive needs in adolescents’ chronic illness
- Afternoon workshops (choose 2) : Presenting your own research on adolescents with chronic illness | Adolescents with limited autonomy | Therapeutic education
- Morning presentations : Transition : An overview | Coordinating pediatric and adult services | Parents in transition
- Afternoon workshops (choose 2) : Transition in obesity and eating disorders | Assessing transfer readiness | Transition in mental health
Day 3 will end with the course dinner.
- Presentations : Examples of transition programs: strengths and pitfalls | Transition in chronic illness : where are we going to ?
Dates and schedules
- Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 – 8:15-17:30
- Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 – 8:30-17:30
- Thursday, September 1st, 2016 – 8:30-17:00
- Friday, September 2nd, 2016 – 8:30-12:30
This course given in English will gather some of the main Swiss and European experts in children and adolescents with chronic illness and transition. This participatory training will bring participants the broadest insight on these subjects while using their own professional experience.
Course fee : CHF 900.- (all lunches included, as well as one dinner) *
Registration deadline : to be determined
* based on the price of the last edition
Places are limited to 25.
- Prof. Joan-Carles Suris, IUMSP, CHUV & UNIL, Lausanne
- Dr Christina Akre, IUMSP, CHUV & UNIL, Lausanne
- Prof. André Berchtold, ISS & NCCR LIVES, UNIL, Lausanne
A certificate of participation will be delivered at the end of the course.
UNIL-EPFL Campus, Lausanne, Switzerland